BERKSHIRE FREE LIBRARY
12519 State Route 38 – P. O. Box 151, Berkshire, NY 13736
Phone 607-657-4418 Email email@example.com
Tobacco Free Grounds Policy
The U.S Surgeon General reports there is no risk-free level of exposure to secondhand smoke, a mixture of the smoke given of by the burning end of a cigarette, pipe or cigar. Secondhand smoke exposure causes disease and premature death in children and adults who do not smoke. Breathing secondhand smoke for even a short time can have immediate smoke for even a short time can have immediate adverse effects on the cardiovascular and respiratory system.
Additional findings include:
- Tobacco related illness is the leading cause of preventable death in the US
- E-cigarettes and similar devices pose health hazards and produce chemicals known to be toxic, carcinogenic and causative of respiratory and heart distress
- Smokeless tobacco causes death and disease
- Exposure to secondhand smoke can occur at significant levels outdoors
Due to the desire to create a healthy, smoke free environment and model healthy behavior for youth, the Berkshire Free Library establishes the following tobacco free policy to protect patrons, visitors, and staff.
- No tobacco, cannabis or smokeless tobacco use within 100 feet of entryway.
- Electronic cigarettes and/or similar electronic aerosol delivery and vaping devices are included in this policy.
Policy passed January 8,2024